The Great Wall

Well, not as great as that Great Wall.  But pretty great nonetheless.

Sometimes it is almost shocking how much more tends to be involved in completing a project than meets the eye.  The bathroom is a perfect example of that.  Here’s what met the eye:

This might look like your average tear it out/redo it type of job.  However, upon doing said tear-out, we found a number of “interesting” things.  Some of them I’ve written about before, others have been too frustrating to talk about.

At some point, two of the studs was cut into for a bathtub, damaging the studs.

The shower drain was not connected to the drain pipe, leading to extensive water damage to one of the floor joists under the bathroom. Additionally, the number of joists and their dimensions ( 2 x 8 ) turned out to be only minimally appropriate for holding the clawfoot bathtub we bought.

The chimney behind the bathroom's north wall was flashed improperly, leading to wide-spread water damage to the wall studs and sheathing behind the shower.

The joist issues were resolved recently when Paul added new joists and put in the new subfloor.  The issues of the water damage to the wall, however, was significantly more complicated.  The last photo shows the entire area we had to remove because of rot.

Most of the wall removed and temporarily covered with a piece of paneling from the basement.

And because we removed it, we had to replace it of course!  That meant building an entire new wall and splicing it into the existing wall.  That finally happened this weekend.  Drumroll please!  Here is the final product after a number of weeks of Paul’s hard work and ingenuity:

Progress!

There were many steps getting this finished.  Paul was able to pull sheathing from another part of the house (an interior wall that used to be an exterior wall) and put it onto the new studs.  It’s lucky he was able to salvage that sheathing, as we quickly figured out that this type of lumber is not easy to come by.
To put the wall in, Paul and my dad used a couple floor jacks to support the ceiling joists, cut the rest of the rotted wood out, then slid in the new wall.  Oh, let’s look at one more photo.  On the exterior side of the wall, Paul decided to put on house wrap, shown here:

New wall as seen from the porch.

We’ll have to replace the clapboards on the porch to cover up the house wrap eventually.  But the important thing is that we have now, finally, solved all of the unexpected “interesting” issues that arose when we did tear out in the bathroom.  Consider us back on schedule with the bathroom project — next Paul will construct the interior bathroom walls.
Next post I’ll talk about a few things going on around the property.  Until next time!
Advertisements

About Leigh

Born and raised in Rochester, MN, Leigh moved to the Twin Cities in 2004 for college. She stayed, and now works for a south metro city in the recycling department. In February of 2011, she and Paul bought a neglected farm house in the city to start our own urban hobby farm.

Posted on June 21, 2011, in House, Renovation and tagged . Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: