It’s kind of a no-brainer that a bathroom needs walls, right? Well, as of Sunday, we can officially say that our bathroom has them! Paul started to frame the interior walls last week, and it was definitely exciting to see them laying around, ready to go up.
This job was very similar to the framing of the upstairs closet, which Paul did a couple months ago. Although, this was probably easier because he didn’t have to measure for a hip ceiling. There were two walls that needed to be made: the north-south wall that you see in the photo above, and the east-west wall that has the bathroom doorway. The north-south wall’s only complexity was the wall vent that needed to be put in. Paul had to add an extra stud to affix the vent, but it was pretty self-explanatory and came together within a day or so. The east-west wall needed the doorway, of course, so Paul constructed that first:
Unlike other walls Paul had built so far, this one was to be a bearing wall, so he had to frame a proper header over the door. Paul had experience with this from building an addition with his grandfather a few years ago. The experience, combined with a healthy dose of reading from the building code book, made this project a snap. After that, it was pretty straight-forward to get the rest of that wall together. So finally, with the help of my father, the walls were put into place on Sunday! Here’s what we got:
Now, it’s a little hard to get the wide shots, as I’m literally taking this photo from another room, so you’ll just have to imagine a little bit. Here’s another angle:
There’s a little more minutia involved before the walls are technically considered framed, but this is a good idea of what we’re working with. The next step in the “bathroom wall” project is to figure out a means of sound dampening the bathroom. My dad had a very good point when he mentioned that, acoustically speaking, bathrooms off the kitchen need to be given extra attention. No one wants to hear bathroom noises when cooking spaghetti (ew), so we’ll either be insulating these walls or using an acoustic drywall.
So this is a big step! Next big project will be re-roofing; Paul and I ordered shingles a couple weeks ago, and they will be coming in on July 11th. Until next time!