I’m not sure I’ve ever had a project go this wrong. Remember my optimistic, possibly excited tone when I talked about the re-roofing project last week? That tone is gone, replaced with perhaps a slightly more panicked tone. What exactly is going so wrong? Let me count the ways:
- Our special order shingles from Menards were delivered 2 weeks late, meaning that the time that Paul and my dad took off from work ended up going toward other projects (hence no roof progress).
- Because we expected the shingles to come in on July 11, we rented a roll-off dumpster for $500 for 2 weeks. When we finally got the shingles, we had 2 days left in the rental period.
- On Wednesday, with the weather outlook hot but clear, Paul and his grandpa took off the shingles over the kitchen and mudroom. Only for a freak 20-minute rainstorm to go through 3 hours later, the wind knocking off one of the tarps and getting rainwater all over the kitchen floor.
- After drying out the roof and kitchen, we realized we’d need an extension for the dumpster rental. So we arranged for it to stay for another week, only to find it gone on Thursday anyway. As of Friday,we have a different dumpster that we have to pay $100 for 5 days instead of $50 for 5 days as we had arranged with the old dumpster. (side note: it’s actually not Vasko’s fault, it’s the fault of the company we worked with who subcontracts Vasko. They are called Big Red Box and while they were perfectly pleasant, I suppose I can’t say I’ll use them again or recommend them to anyone).
- It’s supposed to rain off and on all day on Saturday, meaning we’ll lose yet another day of roofing work.
I’m a little traumatized from the freak rainstorm incident; I had been watching the weather radar online at work all morning because there were storms up in St. Cloud, and at 11:30am the forecast went from 10% chance of rain at noon to 60%. I rushed over to the house as soon as I got done with work, just in time for the sky to open up as I watched the tarp flapping impotently around the roof. Paul had laid bricks on the tarps, but the wind got under them and they were scattered on the grass around the house. I got inside and it was essentially raining in the kitchen. I put the first tarp I could find down on the maple floor, but it had holes in it, so I’m not sure it really did anything. It poured like mad outside for about 20 minutes, and then the sun came out like it never happened. As they say in Spanish, qué mala suerte.
Fans and dehumidifiers seem to have largely done the trick, but needless to say I am a bit weather-paranoid now. The tarps are now nailed down with boards, so we’re safe for a while. The game plan is now to strip the shingles off of the 2nd floor roof on Sunday, put on new shingles on the second floor roof on Monday, and shingle the kitchen roof over the course of the next week. At this point, we will probably leave the shingles on over the front room until this fall or next year. This is because all of my possessions are being stored in the front room, so I’m unwilling to risk another rain incident.
I am really hoping to make it through this project. I have been on the roof for a total of seven hours over the course of two days (Wednesday and Friday), which is quite the accomplishment considering I had literally never been on a roof before. And my muscles have been feeling it, ouch! I’m incredibly proud of Paul for taking all the problems in stride; I know we’ll get the roofing done together. Then it’s back on track for house painting and plumbing.