Weekend Updates (Part 2)
I have run out of roof-related puns, so it’s boring post titles for now. But hey, how can I not post about our progress on the roof? I’m happy to say that last week we finished one section of roof! Let’s take a look:
Here’s a close-up of the new roof surface:
One section done, three to go! Luckily, each section hereafter should go much more quickly, since we pretty much know the drill at this point. Which, I’m just now realizing, I haven’t really described here yet! I know it by memory by now, so here goes:
Roofing: the drill
- Remove old shingles and underlayment
- Check and repair any decking issues
- Install drip edge at bottom edge of roof
- Adhere ice barrier across the bottom six feet of roof
- Put roofing felt on the remaining decking
- Install drip edge up the gable ends
- Put starter course across the bottom edge
- Lay shingles, starting at the bottom corner and going across the roof horizontally
- Lay each row of shingles until you reach the top of the roof
- My Aunt Kate and cousin Emma visited our house last Wednesday, which was such a treat! Paul got to meet Kate and Emma for the first time, and special thanks to Emma for helping me patch the tarp we just took off the second floor roof.
- The rose bushes I featured in one of my Photo Of The Week posts a while back [here] refuse to give up, and one of them even flowered briefly last week! I don’t have a photo because I had forgotten my camera that day… and when I came back the next day the flower had been eaten by bugs. I think if the bushes survive this year I will no choice but to keep them, in appreciation of their insane determination to survive.
- On Sunday, there was a backhoe sitting in the middle of the Buddhist Meditation Center’s property. We looked it up in the online city records, and they seem to have pulled a building permit to put in a foundation and move a house to the property. More on that as it develops!