Raise the Roof

I’m honestly shocked that I haven’t given a post this title until now.  So, how’s it going with the roof, you say?  Well, progress is being made!  Since my last roof post we have finished one side of the roof over the kitchen/mud room, and are now in the middle of finishing up the second side.  This roof was legitimately harder than the last, despite the fact that it is considerably flatter than the 2nd floor roof.  The difficulty was only somewhat expected: we knew that the flashing along the stucco would be a little time consuming, but what we didn’t expect was:

The ants.

Yes, carpenter ants had taken up residence in part of our roof over the mudroom.  The problem, we deduce, was that the metal lip above the door to divert water away from the doorway when it rained.  It seems it didn’t direct the water very well, so it just sat on the roof and apparently seeped into the wood over time.  Not such a great thing for a house, but perfect for carpenter ant food/living space.  A lot of the mudroom roof deck and sub deck was rotted out and/or eaten by ants, which meant ripping it all out and starting from scratch.  We ended up tearing out the bottom three feet of the mudroom roof:

Part of the mudroom roof torn off, exposing the cavities from above.

Because the pitch of the roof in this area is really shallow, we decided to use pressure-treated plywood for the subdeck.  That way, if moisture ever gets under the shingles, underlayment and decking, the subdeck won’t rot.  It was not an easy task to get all the boards on, here’s what the yard looked like, mid-afternoon:

Lots of wood strewn all over the lawn.

But, between my dad, Paul and myself, we were able to get all the deck and subdeck cut and installed before the end of the day.  Here’s how it went down:

Pressure-treated subdeck installed, yet to put on the plywood decking.

Shiny new decking, angle 1.

Shiny new decking, angle 2.

Over the course of the next week, Paul and I were able to install the underlayment and shingles without too much hubbub.  The flashing was an extra step, but once we got the hang of it, it wasn’t so bad.  Here’s the “finished” product:

One more roof surface down, one to go!

The next steps are to install the underlayment and shingles on the other side of the kitchen roof, and then put in the ridge vent like we did for the other roof.  Obviously the house colors looks ridiculous at the moment–we’ll see if I get to painting the exterior with the warm days we have left.  Since I didn’t buy cold-weather paint, it has to be over 50 degrees for 24 hours straight for the paint  to cure correctly.  That is more rare in Minnesota at this point!  As we speak (it’s Thursday night right now), it is 46 out… chilly!

I’ve been working on some odds and ends projects here and there, so I’ll share those next post.

Advertisements

About Leigh

Born and raised in Rochester, MN, Leigh moved to the Twin Cities in 2004 for college. She stayed, and now works for a south metro city in the recycling department. In February of 2011, she and Paul bought a neglected farm house in the city to start our own urban hobby farm.

Posted on September 16, 2011, in House, Renovation and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: