Winded (?) Out
Today’s post would probably be about how we finished the roof… except it’s not. Goodness knows we’ve been stymied by weather a lot lately, but usually it’s rain (or the threat thereof). Today, our roof-finishing plans were thwarted by (drumroll)… the wind. The forecast yesterday predicted 40mph wind gusts, and Mother Nature did not disappoint. Here’s what a local weather station near in our area was recording for wind speed earlier:
See that little green dot just before 4pm? Yup, that’s a 37 mile-per-hour wind gust. Scary, right? Definitely not climbing-on-a-roof weather. Unfortunately, we did end up with one casualty: a small tree in the side yard. Here’s the photo Paul texted me when he was at the house this morning:
It’s really not as bad as it looks; Paul already broke most of it down into branches. The rest of the good news is that it a) didn’t hit anything and b) it’s a tree we planned to eventually remove anyway. Because the property was neglected for a number of years, there are many “accidental” trees that are growing along the fenceline (heck, even our doomed elm tree was an example of this). So, on the bright side, this is one less tree we’ll have to cut down later!
As for the roof, we’re taking a
rain wind check and will finish on Sunday instead. Until then, I’ll probably be spending most of my time picked up sticks from the cottonwood tree (the wind knocked probably more than a hundred of them down).